17 December 2018
Eurostar on track for the great Christmas getaway
Eurostar, the high-speed passenger service between the UK and mainland Europe, is expecting a busy Christmas period with over 379,500 passengers booked to travel between Wednesday 19th December 2018 Tuesday 1st January 2019 – a 4.6% increase compared to the same period last year*.
Paris is the most popular destination, and seasonal escapes to the slopes are also in high demand, with a 52% increase in passengers choosing the ease and comfort of high-speed train versus plane to travel to the Alps for a festive break.
Friday 21st December is the busiest day for UK departures, with over 18,900 passengers expected to travel across the Channel for the festive period. Travellers departing from London St Pancras over the Christmas period will be treated to a different choir every day over the festive season, and some may even spot Santa as he makes some visits to the station.
For those looking for a last minute gift, Eurostar e-vouchers are available at vouchers.eurostar.com. Simply choose a value from £10 and send it directly to the recipients email address.
For more information or to book Eurostar tickets visit www.eurostar.com
- ENDS -
Notes to Editors
*Period from Wednesday 20h December 2017 to the Tuesday 2nd January 2018 compared to the period of Wednesday 19th December 2018 to Tuesday 1st January 2019.
- Eurostar is the high-speed train service linking St Pancras International, Ebbsfleet International, Ashford International, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris, Lyon, Avignon, Marseille, the French Alps, Rotterdam and Amsterdam.
- From its early days of operation Eurostar has championed the environmental benefits of high speed rail and the switch to sustainable modes of transport for short haul travel. A Eurostar journey from London to Amsterdam emits 80% less carbon than the equivalent short haul flight making it a clear choice for the future of travel in Europe.
- Customers travelling by Eurostar can enjoy a range of benefits including:
- Seamless city centre to city centre travel, with stations located in the heart of our destinations
- Comfort and space on board to work or unwind with wifi connectivity and onboard entertainment
- Fast and convenient check-in - passengers are asked to arrive only 30 minutes before departure
- Generous, free-of-charge baggage allowance with each passenger allowed 2 bags/suitcases and 1 piece of hand luggage
- No queues or baggage reclaim upon arrival - simply take your bag with you on board
For more information:
Eurostar Press Office
020 7843 5500