28 February 2018
Eurostar delivers a strong performance in 2017
New London-Amsterdam service launching on Wednesday 4th April
- Sales revenues up 11% versus 2016
- Increase of 3% in passenger numbers year-on-year
- Strong growth in the number of US travellers
- London-Amsterdam service scheduled for launch on 4th April
Eurostar, the high-speed passenger rail service between the UK and mainland Europe, today reported a strong performance in 2017, underpinned by an uplift in business traffic and a surge in the number of travellers from the US.
Sales revenues in 2017 were up by 11% (£880m 2017: £794m 2016) year-on-year and passenger numbers rose by 3% (10.3m 2017: 10m 2016) compared with 2016. Eurostar today reports a preliminary unaudited operating profit of £57.6m in 2017.
The increase in the number of US visitors choosing to travel by Eurostar continued throughout the year with the volume of passengers growing by 26% versus 2016. With the royal wedding in the UK in May and Paris hosting the Ryder Cup in September, the boost in traffic from the US market looks set to continue in 2018.
The volume of business travellers on Eurostar also grew by 8% last year compared with 2016 reinforcing the appetite among business passengers for the speed, ease and convenience of high speed rail over plane.
New London-Amsterdam service set to launch on 4th April
Following the inaugural journey last week, tickets are now on sale for Eurostar’s new route to Amsterdam with the first commercial service departing from London St. Pancras on Wednesday 4th April. With a journey time of just 3 hours 41 minutes from London to Amsterdam and 3 hours from London to Rotterdam, the new service will transform the connection between these important destinations.
Nicolas Petrovic, Chief Executive, Eurostar, said:
“Last year we saw a real revival in the US market combined with good growth in business travel. Following a positive performance in 2017 we are now well placed to expand our reach to The Netherlands. With over four million passengers travelling by air every year between London and Amsterdam, the growth potential for the service and the overall market is significant.”
For more information or to book tickets to Amsterdam, visit www.eurostar.com
Notes to editors:
- Eurostar will start its commercial service from 4th April with two trains a day departing at 08.31 and 17.31.
With the new Eurostar service between the UK and The Netherlands, passengers will travel direct from London to Amsterdam and Rotterdam and on the return journey will connect through Brussels where passport controls and security screening will be carried out.
This connecting return journey will be a temporary measure whilst the governments in the UK and The Netherlands complete an agreement which will enable passport checks to be conducted on departure in The Netherlands as in other key Eurostar destinations.
The governments have committed to putting this agreement in place by the end of 2019 at the latest. Eurostar is actively engaging with the governments on this matter so that Eurostar passengers travelling between the UK and The Netherlands will be able to enjoy a direct service in both directions.
Customers travelling by Eurostar can enjoy a range of benefits including:
- From its early days of operation Eurostar has championed the environmental benefits of high speed rail and the switch to sustainable modes of transport for short haul travel. A Eurostar journey from London to Amsterdam emits 80% less carbon than the equivalent short haul flight making it a clear choice for the future of travel in Europe.
- Seamless city centre to city centre travel, with stations located in the heart of our destinations
- Comfort and space on board to work or unwind with wifi connectivity and onboard entertainment
- Fast and convenient check-in - passengers are asked to arrive only 30 minutes before departure
- Generous, free-of-charge baggage allowance with each passenger allowed 2 bags/suitcases and 1 piece of hand luggage
- No queues or baggage reclaim upon arrival - simply take your bag with you on board
- Eurostar’s Business Premier service offers the highest standards in short-haul business travel. With fully flexible fares, Business Premier customers enjoy 10 minute express check-in, exclusive access to the business lounges as well as complimentary drinks and fine dining in the comfort of their seat.
For more information please contact:
- Sales revenue is the value of ticket bookings made during the period. This revenue is only recognised in the income statement at the date on which the passenger actually travels.
- Passenger volumes reflect the number of travellers carried by Eurostar in the period.
Eurostar Press Office
t: 020 7843 5500