20 February 2018
Inaugural Eurostar service sets off from London to Amsterdam
- Inaugural Eurostar journey from the UK to The Netherlands in three hours
- Tickets from £35 one-way on sale from 4pm today
- Six weeks to go until the start of commercial service on 4th April
Eurostar, the high speed rail service linking the UK and mainland Europe, today marks an historic milestone in the expansion of international high speed rail as it embarks on its inaugural journey from the UK direct to The Netherlands.
The inaugural service will depart from London St Pancras International at 08.31 this morning and tickets for the new route will go on sale from 4pm for travel from Wednesday 4th
With highly competitive fares from just £35 one-way, a journey time of 3hr01 to Rotterdam and 3hr41 to Amsterdam, Eurostar will transform the connection between these key destinations, providing travellers with a compelling, environmentally friendly alternative to the airlines.
Nicolas Petrovic, Chief Executive, Eurostar, said:
“Today’s inaugural service heralds an exciting new chapter in the expansion of high speed rail, strengthening the trading and tourism links between the UK and mainland Europe. With just six weeks to go until the start of service we are looking forward to providing customers with a fast, comfortable connection from London to Amsterdam and transforming travel between these important capital cities.” Commercial service starting on Wednesday 4th April
After extensive preparation, including a comprehensive programme of testing on the Dutch high-speed network, and the building of Eurostar terminals in Rotterdam and Amsterdam, Eurostar will start its commercial service from 4th
April with two trains a day departing at 08.31 and 17.31.
With its seamless city centre to city centre offering, wifi connectivity and ample space to work or relax, Eurostar’s new service will provide passengers with a stylish, convenient route from the UK to the Netherlands and a transformed travel experience. Record breaking journey time between London and Brussels of 1hr48In addition to revolutionising the cross Channel connection to The Netherlands, the new London-Amsterdam service also delivers a record new journey time for those passengers travelling on the London-Brussels section of the route. Going forward, these customers will see their journey time cut by 17 minutes as the time onboard is reduced from 2hr05 to 1hr48.
For more information or to book Eurostar tickets visit www.eurostar.com
or call the Eurostar contact centre on 03432 186 186.
Notes to editors
- With the new Eurostar service between the UK and The Netherlands, passengers will travel direct from London to Amsterdam and Rotterdam and on the return journey will connect through Brussels where passport controls and security screening will be carried out.
This connecting return journey will be a temporary measure whilst the governments in the UK and The Netherlands complete an agreement which will enable passport checks to be conducted on departure in The Netherlands as in other key Eurostar destinations.
The governments have committed to putting this agreement in place by the end of 2019. Eurostar is actively engaging with the governments on this matter so that Eurostar passengers travelling between the UK and The Netherlands will be able to enjoy a direct service in both directions.
For more information:Eurostar Press Office 020 7843 email@example.com
- From its early days of operation Eurostar has championed the environmental benefits of high speed rail and the switch to sustainable modes of transport for short haul travel. A Eurostar journey from London to Amsterdam emits 80% less carbon than the equivalent short haul flight making it a clear choice for the future of travel in Europe.
- Customers travelling by Eurostar can enjoy a range of benefits including:
- Seamless city centre to city centre travel, with stations located in the heart of our destinations
- Comfort and space on board to work or unwind with wifi connectivity and onboard entertainment
- Fast and convenient check-in - passengers are asked to arrive only 30 minutes before departure
- Generous, free-of-charge baggage allowance with each passenger allowed 2 bags/suitcases and 1 piece of hand luggage
- No queues or baggage reclaim upon arrival - simply take your bag with you on board
- Eurostar’s Business Premier service offers the highest standards in short-haul business travel. With flexible fares up to departure, Business Premier customers enjoy 10 minute express check-in, exclusive access to the business lounges as well as complimentary drinks and fine dining in the comfort of their seat.
- In addition to the Eurostar services, there are up to 8 Thalys trains a day from Amsterdam and Rotterdam to Brussels, and the following provide the best connections to Eurostar services for the journey from The Netherlands to the UK: